Sunday, June 24, 2012

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me!

Char and I were at our mom's house this weekend and she remarked that our blogging has hit a lull...so I decided to change that. You see it's been kinda quiet on here because not TOO much has happened in the Sanfi-sister's house, but that is no excuse! So today I had a lot of time on my hands so I decided to dig into a project.

At first I thought that my project would be to change my violin strings...which I did but it took me about 5 minutes and was a little bit of a bore.

So then I decided to do something with the fabric and tank top that I bought a couple weeks ago. Under some guidance from this tutorial and a little creative touch found here I was able to make a fun summer dress! A lot of you have probably seen the "tank dresses" that seem to pretty popular now-a-days so you will recognize that that is indeed the style I decided to make. Mostly because I thought it would be pretty easy and cheap! So I started out with the ingredients: 1 tank top (I bought this one for I think $4 at forever 21) At least 1 yard of fabric ($0.75 for mine!) 1 1/2 or 2 inch elastic (I used 1 1/2 because I found some for only $0.97)

Dress Making Ingredients!
Now because I've posted the tutorials that I followed, I won't really post much about the making process. I will say that one modification that I had was that I had to make an underlayer because my fabric is pretty much see-through...that was really the most time consuming part. I'm not sure why though. It took me a couple hours, but I'm super pumped with the final product! 

Feeling Sailboaty!

Details, deets, tails...whatever you like to say, here they are.
Check out them ruffs (that's short for ruffles...obvi).
 
I had some extra fabric so I thought, why not make a headband?
So I did.

In case you didn't catch it-my dress is made out of sailboat fabric!

So there you have it folks-we'll try not to be so distant :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow the dress is FABULOUS and I loooove it!!!! All the best with your project Gabbs:).would you mind making one for me???:)*winks*. Sarah N.

    ReplyDelete